Saturday, August 27, 2011

Not what I'd planned

Well, my child free weekend wasn't as I'd planned.  When I last posted DH had been feeling generally unwell for a few days as if he was fighting off the flu or a virus. But, the day after my last post, Wednesday, he came home from work at lunch feeling bad and with a very sore elbow. We got an appointment with the Dr later that afternoon and he started antibiotics. Thursday he was worse with his elbow red and swollen. Friday morning I took him to the emergency dept at the local hospital. We were expecting him to get some IV antibiotics for a few hours, but the dr took one look and decided to admit him to hospital.  Initially we were told for 24 - 48 hours, but on Friday night he was told he wouldn't be home until Monday at the earliest.

I sent DD on her camp Friday night, then on Saturday morning I drove DS and 4 other scouts to their camp on the Darling Downs, dropped them off and drove back home in the afternoon - a 7 1/2 hour round trip.  They had problems with transport and I was able to fit everyone in my vehicle.  (Another mum went out Sunday morning to bring the scouts back)  I left home at 7.30am and got back after 3pm, then went off to hospital for a few hours with DH. I got home after dark to eat, feed the cat and collapse into bed.  Sunday morning I was back at the hospital, then off to get DD at midday, home to pick DS up from the scout den, back to the hospital for a few hours. 

On the Sunday night DH was told he wouldn't be out until Wednesday at the earliest. He had a staph infection in his elbow bursa and ended up spending 6 days in hospital getting IV antibiotics. At its worst his arm was swollen and red from just above the elbow to almost his wrist.  He came home with a 2 week course of oral antibiotics, a right elbow still sore and swollen, and a left arm sore with damaged and clotted veins from the IV antibiotic treatment.  He has been home for 10 days now and his left arm is just starting to feel better and he is able to ease up on the painkillers.  Right elbow is still red and swollen.  Dr said 6-8 weeks for both arms to be back to normal.

DH was meant to be flying overseas on Tuesday this week but he had to cancel this trip as he wasn't well enough to go.  Of course he was working from his hospital bed with the laptop and wireless internet access once he was well enough and was back at work a few days after leaving hospital.  He is the boss so the work piles up even when he is sick.

So, not a lot of sewing done lately.  I started a LHN ornament while visiting DH in hospital.  I miscounted the first day and had to frog the second.  Even when DH was home from hospital I think I was emotionally drained from all the stress and too tired to stitch.  For the last 3 weeks I've had kids activities, etc at least 4 nights per week and also coming up for next week.  Things are getting back to normal now and the housework is under control.  Today was DD's school fete.  The weather was not so good with light rain this morning, but the rides were still operating.  We left mid afternoon when the rain got heavier. 

I've lost the photos I thought I had on the camera and I'm too tired to find them.  I'll post them in the morning.   


mdgtjulie said...

Oh, no!! I'm so sorry to hear your DH was sick. I'm glad he's starting to feel better and will say a prayer for him. I hope he gets back to normal ASAP!!! And I hope you get some stitchy time soon to relax you, and that you find your pics!

Nancy M said...

So sorry that your planned relaxing weekend turned into something so stressful! Those staph infections can be nasty. It is nice that he could do a little work with his laptop though! What did we do without computers??? Glad that he is home and you can get things back to normal.