Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's November!

It's November and I've done very little stitching since my last post.  I'm still working on my Autumn piece for ILCS yahoo group so I can't show it to you.  I ran out of thread and had to stop for a while so I'm not sure if I will get if finished in time.
October is not a good month for me and I think this year was particularly difficult - more on that below.

Here are some of the things that have been happening lately.

AIRPLANES
DH is in Vancouver again.  He left on Sunday morning and will be back next Monday.  Yes, he was caught in the Qantas drama. In case you don't know, Qantas announced on Saturday afternoon at 5pm that they were grounding their entire fleet in response to industrial action by unions.  Within 2 hours DH managed to get return flights to LA on another airline.  Of course Qantas is back flying again now.

CRAFT SHOW
A few weeks ago we had the Craft and Quilt show here in Brisbane.  I was lucky enought to get a free ticket offered by Stitches and Spice in their newsletter.  Here's a photo of part of their stall. The bins at the front are full of fabric.  Some of that fabric made it's way home with me.

Stitches and Spice stall
 I also found something else I had been looking for. I found this in one of the bead stalls.

Bead storage containers


 WEATHER
Look at this.
The closest we get to snow in Brisbane.  A hailstorm a few weeks ago.  It was only marble sized and no damage for us, but friends had cars out that got dented and it was a lot worse in other areas.  We have another wet summer forecast again - please not as bad as the floods early this year.

EXCHANGES
I was in the ILCS 10th Anniversary Birthday Exchange.
This is what I received from Renae


And this is what I sent Jo



A few months ago I decided I needed a new mobile phone as mine was not working properly. I waited and got the new iphone 4s on the first day it came out.  It's my first smartphone and I love it, and I can take photos with my phone (such technology!)  I already had an ipad so I wanted to stay with Apple.

SCHOOL
Kids finish school for the year in 4/5 weeks so it's getting busy for both of them now.  DS is getting another academic award at his schools yearly awards ceremony next week - he got one last year as well.  He has nearly finished year 9.  He is getting very tired again so I think he is about to have another growth spurt.  He will be 15 in January.
We are horribly busy and the next day when I have nothing on my calender is November 27, so we are looking forward to ...

HOLIDAYS
We've decided not to go overseas this summer, we'll go back to the snow and skiing in January 2013.  This year instead we're going up the coast to Mooloolaba for a week in early December.  It's only an hour drive away and should be a relaxing week in the sun on the beach. 


It would have been my mother's 70th birthday in late September.  She passed away in October 1982 when she was 41 and I was 13.  She took her own life after a 9 year battle with schizophrenia, caused by a severe brain injury from a horse riding accident as a child.  I spent very little time with her because I went to boarding school when I was 6, then my parents started living apart, so I have no good memories of our time together.  October is sometimes hard for me and I think this year was worse because now I'm older than my mother was when she died.  I guess as I get older I'm more aware of what she missed out on.   

If you are still with me, thanks for reading so much.  I'm almost sure I'm going to start 15 charts in January, just have to decide on which ones to do.

4 comments:

pam said...

Kate,

Still with you. Sorry for the bad month. We have a similar story in my family only it was my mom and grandmother rather than me and mom. I often think about all my mom missed and lost out on because of her mom's situation. Love the exchange pieces and lets see some stitching(small kick in the bumb)

Claudette497 said...

Sorry this is a hard time for you - losing a mother at 13 is a terrible loss - that's when a girl really starts needing one!

It looks like you had fun at the craft show. I look forward to seeing your January projects (or non-January projects, as the case may be, lol)

Nancy M said...

It's sad when someone doesn't get a relationship with their mother. It's nice that you have overcome that and have good relationships with your own children. How fun to see Stitches and Spice in person and are able to pick out colors in person instead of the computer screen! Your exchanges look like fun. I don't participate in them anymore. In fact, I've dropped out of the ILCS group, about a month or so ago. Just keeping in touch through blogs now!

Meari said...

Sorry about your mother, Kate. It's too bad you don't have good memories with her.

The craft show sounds like it was a lot of fun. I like seeing fabrics and stash in person :)

What a fun exchange you participated in. And congrats on being featured on the homepage ;-)